Before it was badminton. Now it's running. Almost every week, there are scheduled races and doctors in Cebu have caught up with the running craze. Among the more popular physician runners in Cebu is Dr. Yong Larrazabal of course who even participate in races organized abroad.
To give you an idea of the different races scheduled in Cebu, here is a list I read from Reel running blog:
- 6/20/10 - Dasig Kabataan Run
- 6/26/10 - Run for a BEBE
- 6/26-27/10 - Danao City Multisports Weekend
- 6/27/10 - Planet Sports Run
- 7/4/10 - Fitness Run of Fitness First
- 7/25/10 - ABCCI Run for the KIDS
- 8/8/10 - VSMMC Fun Run
- 8/8/10 - ABOITIZ Race to Reduce
- 8/29/10 - 1st Recoletos' Run
- 9/05/10 - 34th MILO CEBU Eliminations
- 10/10/10 - Run to the Max 3
- 01/09/11 - Cebu City Marathon 2011
What could have started this craze or fad if that's the right term for it? Are people nowadays really becoming health conscious? I will soon find out and if I do find the answers, I will post it here.
Meanwhile in facebook, you will see wall posts of friends planning designs for singlets or t-shirts. Many would show their own photos of their participation and tag other friends participating also in such races. Others have already made blogs on running. I have talked to several doctors who follow a regular training regimen in an attempt to imprve their personal records. I will try to ask them soon what made them decide to take up running as a sport.
As for me. Mmmmm? Shall I try running? Judging from the picture above, do you think I can run a 5k?
Joking aside. Go on and run. It's good for your health.